Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Gone Fishin'

As many of our fellow vicars and their wives can attest, things can get pretty hairy and just plain crazy busy. Jon and I decided to take a weekend away to be "Gone Fishin'" last weekend. The drive through the mountains in Napa Valley alone was relaxing. Jon bought me my first non-Snoopy fishing rod, and for the first time since I was about 12 or 13, I went fishing. Of course, the way it worked was that Jon helped me get set up, I learned how to cast with an open spin reel, and Jon casts out for the first time a half hour later, and gets a fish. At least we both weren't skunked! :) These are scenes from Lake Berryessa in Napa County, about 30-45 minutes north of Vacaville.



Jon thinks this looks a lot like Hoover Dam. This is the part of the lake that's closest to our house.







This is what's on the other side of the dam. When the water level rises above that donut-looking thing on the left hand side, the water comes shooting out the spouts at the dam. That probably won't happen until late fall/early winter when it is our rainy season.






Our signature self-portrait...You know, we should really start making a collection of these!








A half hour and four lake fingers later, we arrived at our fishing destination--Smittle Creek (dont' be fooled, it's really just a finger of Lake Berryessa). Here's Jon setting up our rods and reels.







This picture is for all of my dis-believing sisters. See! I'm ENJOYING fishing...even if I didn't catch anything! :)








Jon casts out his line...and before you know it...viola! He catches a fish! And what a little stinker (I mean the fish, of course!)!!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home